History of Norborne Public Library
It was on the 18th of November, 1930 that a group of women met to discuss the formation of ta literary club. Miss Madonna Wright was chosen president and miss Perlina Amery secretary-treasurer. The title of Au Courant Literary Club was adopted, and the ultimate goal of the members was to establish a public library. The club sponsored many projects to obtain the necessary funds, and in June, 1932, a library for the public was opened in the basement room where Dr. R. E. Haskell now has his office.
Members of the club served as librarians and opened the library only on Saturday evenings. The books were all donated by citizens of the town, and the pennies collected as fines were carefully hoarded until it amounted to the price of a new book. The new book was put on a rental shelf and always had a waiting list. in 1937, the city council assumed the cost of utilities for the library, and in 1983, the club voted to make the library a public library with no charge for borrowers’ cards. Miss Elsie Raab was hired as librarian in 1939 and held that position until her death in 1957. A municipal tax for the maintenance and permanent housing for the collection of books was voted in 1940. As long as her health permitted Miss Madonna Wright carried on the work as president of the club and purchased most of the books for the library, until her death in 1943.
Mrs. Frances King was hired as the librarian in 1957. Through the combined efforts of Mrs. King and interested citizens, the tax was raised in 1960, and the library now contains over 4,000 volumes. In 1969 Mrs. Frances King retired and Doris Whitman was hired as the Librarian until her retirement in 2010. In 2010 Pamela Penrod was hired and continues the work of Librarian today.